Sunday, December 6, 2015

our fairytale ending. but life isn't a fairytale.

i closed the door behind me, and you greeted me at the door. the air escaped my lungs and i was breathless at the way you looked in a suit. you're hair spiked and messy and you're eyes sparkled in the moonlight. you smiled, your cheeky smile that i was all too familiar with. your hand reached out for mine, and i held it.
"hey" your words like honey
i simply smiled back as you wrapped your arms around my body, i could get lost in your embrace.
the acceptable amount of time for a hug had long past and i hesitantly pulled myself away from your body. we walked to the car and you commented on my dress as you opened the car door for me, and i got in. the music coming from the speakers was somehow the most perfect backing track to our lives and the night was like a whirlwind, a blur. i could get lost in the way you'd look at me, like i was the only girl in the world and they way you'd laugh at my jokes. you always did have the best laugh. the sun had faded when you asked if i wanted to walk along the beach. i loved the way you felt next to me, and the cold sand between my toes. we walked and laughed and you walked to me to the spot you loved most. the spot that overlooks the city, and the city lights gleamed in your eyes. you walked me out to a platform and held me as i lent over the edge. i was mesmerised my the night sky, the city lights and you. you took a step back and i turned around. you were on one knee and time stood still. you told me you loved me from the moment you met me, that we'd both made mistakes in the past but we were standing here, exactly where we were supposed be. i wanted to freeze time and stay in this moment forever. and then you pulled out a ring. you promised me you'd always keep me on my toes, to be honest with me and to love me until my last breath. the wind was cool on my skin but the sparkle in your eyes gave me goosebumps. it was like i was the only thing you've ever wanted. you promised me forever. you hesitated when you opened your mouth and asked me to marry you. as if the answer was ever in doubt. i paused drinking in this moment like fine wine, i was drunk on the thought of forever.
"yes" the words escaped my lips, they've waited their whole lives to say yes to you.
"yes, i will marry you"
the ring was heavy on my finger, the diamond sparkled withal your love, we sat on the grass, intoxicated by this moment and counted the stars.
you heartbeat loud in my ear, i could tell, it was beating for me.